Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Car problems...car will not drive smooth?

Well I just did a engine swap on a Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. The motor is running really strong, but the car is not driving right. I can not seem to figure out what the problem would be for sure. It is not easy to explain how it is not driving right, but it is similar to a flat or warped tired making your car bounce. It seems to get worse the faster I go. I changed one of the CV boots, so I don't know if the half-shafts could cause this problem in anyway. Obviously I had to remove them and the drive shaft and transmission to do a engine swap. I still cant see any of that causing it to act up exactly like this, but Im not for sure... Also I need some new studs on my hubs and only have 3 lug nuts on my drivers side front wheel. I thought maybe the wheel could be moving around and causing the problem with only 3 lug nuts, but it's 2 lug nuts on one side and one on the opposite, not all right next to each other, so I thought it would be fine to drive a few miles at least...any ideas?Car problems...car will not drive smooth?A normal symptom of a bad half shaft is a clicking noise when backing up with the wheel turned to one side. You mentioned that you recently changed a CV boot. If dirt gets into the joint beneath the boot then it will almost always wipe out the joint. Although this may be an issue on your vehicle I don't think it would be causing the driving problem you've described unless the CV joint is really bad. More likely I would check out the hub %26amp; bearing assemblies, especially since you say some of the studs on it are broken...hope this helps!Car problems...car will not drive smooth?Ever thought of getting a wheel alignment? You could also have a bent frame, axle, etc..........really too numerous to write here.

I strongly urge you to take it to a Dodge dealership. Have a professional take a look see.Car problems...car will not drive smooth?if it feels like a warped tire then maybe all you need to do is balance the tire, go to a tire shop and they can do it. it isnt to much. I can get it done for $10.00 but alot of places do it free for life if you buy tires.Car problems...car will not drive smooth?replace the frog's top wheel and the tire too.

one of the tires has a bump in the suface.

balance all tires.

You forgot to say the original car model and year.( the one You pull the engine out.)Car problems...car will not drive smooth?A good start would be to have the tires secured with all lug nuts. It could be a bad tire as you seemed to describe it as in the beginning. Also the half shaft you didn't replace could be going bad. The older they are the sloppier they get or have more play which can cause vibration at various speeds. The first culprit is almost always a bad tire or tires that need balanced. Good luck.