Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Do you think that licensing procedures should include a test on something mechanical?

You have to pass a road test and a written test in my state but you don't have to know anything about automobiles except how to drive. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to drive if you can't overhaul a motor or swap a 5-speed for an automatic, but I think there needs to be something. I think you should at least have to change a tire and check your fluids and tire pressure at the DMV before they will even let you take a road test.



I've done most of my own mechanical work on my car since i started driving. If I wouldn't have, my parents would not have allowed me to drive. It's not such a bad idea. And if everyone were held more responsible for the condition of their vehicles I'd hazzard to say that the roads would be a lot safer.



I also think a vehicle maitenance class should be mandatory in all schools.



Is this a completly crazy idea or does it have some merit?Do you think that licensing procedures should include a test on something mechanical?It does have merit. But in our society, we like convenience. Most car insurance has option for including roadside assistance for changing tires, out of gas refill, towing and lockout services. With all this available, most people are not interested in learning more about their cars. It would be very beneficial to know more about their cars, so mechanics cannot cheat them when they go for service.Do you think that licensing procedures should include a test on something mechanical?yes it should i have been in the middle of no where and no cell service, but i am one of the lucky ones that knows how to change a tire i also save on maintenance because i can do it my self. a lot of times it is so much faster to change a tire on your own. I know a few people that have had to spend the weekend some where because they had a problem with there car and the shop could not get it done on the weekend because they needed a part (that they could have gotten at an auto parts store, but they order there parts) I pay less because i don't need to get diagnostic tests done because i know what bad spark plugs sound like. Also my cars last longer because i know how to do the up keep