Monday, September 19, 2011

Mommies, I need your advice?

Hi I am reposting because I really need a solution.



So, I need to know how to keep my son awake the majority of the night and then on a 2 hour car ride to the hospital...



He is going to a neurologist to get some testing done for the cause of his seizure episodes and they told me he must not be allowed to sleep the night before or the morning or afternoon before the tests.



The tests are at 1pm and I live about 2 hours from the hospital and I have to drive there alone.



How am I possibly going to keep him awake for 2 hours WHILE I drive and how am I going to sleep deprive him the night and morning before we leave on our drive to the hospital???



My son can sleep though baths and diaper changes when he is tired enough.



The only thing I can do that will keep him up and screaming is not feed him but he is only 4 months old so that is really not an option for him, he must eat.



There are no exceptions and they said he must be kept awake before the tests and be sleep deprived or he can't do the tests and I live 2 hours from the hospital and seizures in an infant can be very dangerous depending on the cause and he needs to be put on medication if it is something serious so I can't postpone this.



Please tell me how you would pull this off with your 4 month old because I am at a loss here...



Thanks!!!



Ps... we can't stay in a hotel, the gas is going to be costly enough so a hotel is out of the question.



And my husband MUST work and we just moved here so we have no friends or family yet.Mommies, I need your advice?pump him FULL of juices high in sugar. waring him out the day before and when he sleeps the night before he will be rested up. take a metal cooking pot and a metal spoon and bang on it if you see that he's drifting off. change your music up. no slow music or soothing music. listen to your local rock station if need be. change the volumes so he isn't desensitized from it. even turn it off. and change the temp in your car frequently. if a child is uncomfortable they tend not to want to go to sleep and may even get cranky BUT you do need him to be awake so, even if he's crying his eyes out, at least he is still awake. crank the ac and dress him in shorts and a onsie. put a very lightweight blanket on him. you can have warmer clothes packed in the diaper bag for the ride home. =] you might even want to open a window or two for a bit to keep the changes in environment changing. have a variety of different toys that he likes. if your kiddo normally does not like being wet don't change his diaper an hour in advance of pumping full of the sugar juices. he'll probably pee and get antsy. i hope these ideas help you some. they are all just off the top of my head.Mommies, I need your advice?Honestly, I would call the neurologist and ask them if they have any advice on how to do that, they might have some tips or tricks you could use. My daughter would sleep through anything if tired enough, In fact she actually one slept through an entire well baby visit that I accidentally scheduled at her usual nap time. The only thing I could think of for in the car is try to hire a baby sitter to ride with you and keep him awake in the back seat. Good Luck.Mommies, I need your advice?is there any loud obnoxious sound or noise you can make that will keep him up? Good luck you and your family our in my prayersMommies, I need your advice?The bottom line is he needs to be sleep deprived so they can try to induce a seizure to tell where the seizures are origionating from. Just sleep deprived - the whole thing isn't ruined if he falls asleep for 30 minutes. Just do the best you can. And no, in this situation, very little would be considered %26quot;cruel%26quot; like the spray bottle. I think the spray is a good idea, as is some loud heavy metal during the drive.Mommies, I need your advice?They will have to re-do it and make you come back later if he does not sleep for part of it. That happend to a friend of mine, they did not tell her to sleep deprive her daughter and she had to come back on a different date.



The spray bottle is a good idea, maybe loud music?Mommies, I need your advice?oh man this is crazy because i have the same problem coming up... my son has to have a baer test for his hearing, he failed his hearing test when he was born, hes now 6 months old and hears EVERYTHING i know nothing is wrong but the military wants it in writing that he can hear so we have been in this mess trying to get his hearing retested, so basically i have to drive him an hour to get this test done soon and he must be sleep deprived when i bring him... no clue how im going to do this unless i can someone find a friend to come with me to sit in the back and keep him awake. thats what i would suggest to you, a family member, friend anyone even if they could take off work or something if not i guess just turn the radio up real loud, dont give them a paci, they might cry the whole way but its the only things ive thought of! let me know if you find a solution!!