Thursday, September 22, 2011

Worried that I might have diabetes... what were your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?

For the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing a lot more fatigue than usual. At first I thought it was because I had changed my sleep schedule, but even so, I'm sleeping the same amount of hours, just going to bed earlier and waking up earlier... I'm sure I would have adjusted to that by now. But whenever I spend more than 15 minutes in the car (as a passenger, of course) I doze off. When my husband and I were playing with our kids in the living room last week, I dozed off on three different evenings because I was SO worn out.



Also when I wake up in the morning I HAVE to get up and get something to drink, whereas normally I lie in bed and relax before getting up. A few days ago I realized I was going to the bathroom a lot more than usual. That on top of being tired and thirsty all the time actually made me think that I might be pregnant again, because those were the symptoms I had when I was pregnant the last time. Now that I know I'm not pregnant, I'm worried.



I recently got on a new low-dose birth control pill this month, but I've never really experienced side effects from being on birth control before... especially excessive thirst - I don't think that'd be a side effect of the pill.



Anyway... I should also add that my dad is diabetic, so it does run in my family. But I just want to hear from other diabetics what kind of warning signs pointed you in the right direction to seek help for it. I have a physical coming up in 2 months, I'm sure I'll get blood work then, but if it sounds like an urgent issue, hopefully they'll see me about it earlier.



I appreciate any advice and insight!Worried that I might have diabetes... what were your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?Yes these symptoms may indicate diabetes BUT they may also suggest other problems I suggest that you seek medical advice now rather than wait for 2 months for your check up.Worried that I might have diabetes... what were your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?i realized i had a problem because i was always thirsty,my boss



who is a diabetic told me that was a symptom of diabetes,i had my sugar levels tested and the dr. determined i was diabetic



i did not take care of my sugar properly and evetnually it affected my kidneys.SO PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR ASAPWorried that I might have diabetes... what were your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?All are good answers, but you might also have sleep apnea.



HomeResearch Stories %26quot;A Spoonful of Vinegar Helps the Sugar Go Down%26quot; http://researchstories.asu.edu/stories/vWorried that I might have diabetes... what were your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?Extreme thirst. Frequent urination. Fatigue. Family history. You didn't mention if you were overweight or not, not judging, but it can make a difference. If these don't get any better or worse, then have doc check your blood sugar. It's only a finger prick.



Or if you can check it on your dad's meter if he uses one.



You can also buy urine dipsticks at any drugstore to test if you are %26quot;spilling sugar%26quot; into your urine (not normal). If you are, then have it checked out. Might save you a doc visit.Worried that I might have diabetes... what were your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?My dad is a diabetic, so I knew the symptoms, but I was in denial when i first started getting them. Not going to the doctor right away was a mistake, i got sooo sick i almost died. I was 24 when i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, i thought I was passed the point where I could develop it, but i was wrong. the first thing i noticed was having to pee a lot more. It started off more slowly but then i had to go more and more. I started being so thirsty, that got worse and worse too. I could never quench it. I started to lose weight slowly at first and then more rapidly as time went on. I was really tired, and my vision was a bit blurred from time to time, which got worse as it progressed. I kept telling myself it wasnt diabetes, but since my dad had it, i knew. If its in your family you need to go in now, do NOT wait, it could be deadly, I know first hand. The sooner you can get a handle on things the better. And besides if it's not diabetes why would you wanna worry that it is for the next 2 months. They will definately see you sooner if you are symptomatic.