Monday, September 19, 2011

What can I say to turn a negative conversation into a positive one?

Okay, I have a really great friend. Really, she's probably one of the best friends a person can have. She would sit and wait on a tow truck with you at 3am in 30 degree weather because your car broke down in front of the all-night restaurant. So, losing her friendship is not really an option.



However, I am having a tough time hanging out with her regularly because she can literally turn ANYTHING into a negative. Anytime we go out to eat, the food is never good, the service is terrible and she HAD to have gotten cut off (or some other reason life is so terrible) before we met up. We went to the art museum and she hated it, despite the fact that she was excited to go. My boyfriend and I broke up LAST YEAR and he did me pretty dirty. She brings it up about how trifling he is, and how he should have never done me wrong, etc... I think she does this because it's just something to say. Now, I try to change the subject because I am sick and tired of hearing about him and all the other negative things in the world and I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas on how to change the subject - and more importantly, what to change the subject to? I can get off of negative topics, I just don't have much to replace them with. I don't want to come out and say %26quot;Hey, you're being negative! Stop it!%26quot; because she doesn't see it that way at all. She's just talking.What can I say to turn a negative conversation into a positive one?I think you're already on the right track (changing the subject). Here's a thought, if you can't think of anything to say look around you. For example, if you were sitting in the park with your friend and she starts talking negatively, then just talk about the weather, trees, birds, any good looking guys you can see...etc.You can also tell her to stop being so negative but in a play-full way so she wont take it personally.What can I say to turn a negative conversation into a positive one?I actually think I have the same problem as your friend and I didn't even realize it. My family just...well they complain about stuff a lot. I used to do it all the time until my husband pointed it out. I think if you tell her she might not even realize it. I'm trying to change it right now. GL

Report Abuse

What can I say to turn a negative conversation into a positive one?Has she only recently began to be negative? I'd talk to her about it. Don't come off rough but tell her that she's always been a great friend and always there for you and you want to be there for her and find out why she is negative. Ask her if there's something in her life that has changed that she needs to talk about and get off her chest.